Joyce Rankin ABR,CRS,GRI, e-PRO
Associate Broker
Hall of Fame
100% Club
215-968-7430 direct
215-968-7400 office
215-280-1516 cell
215-579-8463 fax




Jamison

 
Area Links
Warwick Township
School

Warwick Township was formed by petition in 1733, by eighteen residents of Middlebury Township. Located in middle Bucks County mostly between the forks of the Neshaminy and Little Neshaminy Creeks it was named after a town in central England and was the home to many Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.

In 1819 the Township lost over half its territory to the north and west when Doylestown Township was established and other subsequent boundary adjustments were made.

There are four major roads within or bordering the present township on early maps; York, Almshouse, Meetinghouse, and Bristol Roads. York Road was the most prominent because it was the major link between Philadelphia and New York.

The Old York Road played a major roll in the American Revolution easing the movement of the American Army during the northern campaigns. In August of 1777 the American Army of 11,000 men camped for 13 days in and around the "Cross Roads" as Hartsville was known. The encampment stretched along both sides of Old York Road, on the slope of Carr's hill to the north; on both sides of Bristol Road from Mearns Road to Meetinghouse Road.

General Washington's Headquarters was located in the Moland House not far from the intersection of York and Bristol Roads. It was here the Marquis de Lafayette and Count Pulaski joined the American Army both of whom distiguished themselves soon at the Battle of Brandywine.

A Council of War was held in the Moland House, consisting of the Commander-in-Chief, four Major Generals, and six Brigadier Generals. General Green's Headquarters' was across the street from Washington's quarters, Lord Sterling's Headquarters was located on Jamison Street and is now a Bed and Breakfast, Lt. James Monroe was his Aid-de-Camp. The Cross Roads Tavern is now an architect's office. The Neshaminy Church served as both hospital and a place for court-martials such as the one held for Major Light Horse Harry Lee, the father of Robert E. Lee. Interred in the church graveyard are the remains of several soldiers who died during the two-week period.

For further information on Bucks County please visit: http://www.VisitBucksCounty.com

 © 2017 Agent Image All rights reserved. | Terms | Sitemap Design by Agent Image - Real Estate Web Site Design